Monday, January 22, 2007

The Unplanned Weekend - Procrastination or Purpose?

You ever plan to spend a whole weekend doing one thing, and end up doing something completely different?

My plan was to spend all weekend working on websites - setting up simple one page sites for a bunch of different domain names and also getting playingbig.com up and running.

Instead, after a couple of hours on the phone with godaddy.com Customer Service, I found out that they have completely changed their websight tonight software. IMHO, the new version sucks. This happened Friday evening, and I let it get me completely off track.

Notice that "let it get me"? That's one of those things that is so easy to see with hindsight. What I could have done instead was re-group, by saying to myself something like "okay, I'll have to change my plans a bit, but I can still accomplish most of what I wanted to, I'll just have to do it differently than I'd planned."

What did I do instead? Well, after a great session with a client Saturday morning, I started watching the 6th episode of Season 3 of "24", and didn't stop until I'd watched the rest of the season, somewhere around midnight. Sunday morning I listened to about 3 hours of Teleseminar Secrets, then started on Season 4 of "24", and watched through episode 12.

It wasn't until 8pm Sunday night that I 'remembered' I needed to make some money for the week, and that I'd planned to spend the whole weekend doing that.

So what happened? Simple, I lost FOCUS.

I spent two thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing days just wandering from one thing to the next - and I *love* doing that. In addition to the stuff I've already mentioned I did some cleaning, organized coupons and my desk, shoveled some snow, cuddled my cats, spent some time doing strategic business planning and did a bunch of energy work.

But I did not do what I needed to do to earn income for this week. I lost Focus.

Now, I could make a great case for my needing to have a couple of days of 'down' days. And I do feel refreshed. So, did I spend my weekend doing what I needed, or did I 'waste' it?

More later on the energy of what happened, and how to do it differently from now on.

Enjoy your Monday!

Love and Light,

Kim

No comments: